Wednesday 3 October 2012

High-Pressure Crafting - Wedding, Part One

Some people were surprised that I didn't DIY more stuff for my wedding, but I focused on trying to reduce stress for myself, and it was a good idea for my sanity. I would need to keep that for all the twirling I would be made to do.


I had the dresses designed and made by Sandie Bizys and her talented dressmaker Amy. I knew from the start I wanted something fifties, but I had less classy ideas than Sandie and we ended up with something far more elegant than I imagined. She suggested the idea of searching for old family stuff that could be incorporated into the dress. Most of what my family has kept is more twenties and involves a lot of jet and other dark things, but I did find these little Brussels lace birds that Mum bought years before we were born. She said she always thought of them as bluebirds of happiness.


So the birds went on my dress at the back.


She does a lovely dress with swallows around the bottom and I wanted to do something similar based on these birds for my bridesmaids. We talked a lot about hand-painting but in the end screenprinting was a much safer idea. As it was there were plenty of moments of panic and a number of trial runs.



But I think they turned out ok.


More on the wedding later!

2 comments:

  1. Have been catching up with the blog. It was great to be able to show Rosemary the lace birds in detail. Loved the twirl picture, too. Mum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome. Thanks. There will be lots of blog this month as I prepare for Halloween and write up a few more things about the wedding.

      Delete