Friday 5 October 2012

Halloween Finger Puppet Greeting Cards

I've been making some cards - something I haven't done for a while. I've been playing with the idea of cards with finger puppets, and since I was exploring Halloween ideas, I started with some Halloweeny ones.


I started with some owls. One of the big issues I had was coming up with how to attach the puppet to the card. Eventually I found these sticky puffy tab things in a card-making kit (you know the things that make the bits on the card stick out? Those. Turns out I had some) but I experimented with many other ideas, including paddle-pop sticks, as with this fat owl and his fence:


He is so fat.

Happy with the owls, I tried a pumpkin-headed man and a kid dressed as a devil.


I think in future I would do him either as just a jack-o-lantern without a body, or as a proper pumpkin-headed man with some arms. He looks a bit funny this way.


Poor devil kid's face. I didn't want to go to the effort of sewing on eyes and a mouth (especially the mouth) so I tested fabric pens. Unfortunately I tested them on one felt then used them on another, and it spread more on the face fabric. Oh well. He doesn't seem to mind.


I don't think the pictures I used are copyright free (they were from a Dover sampler but not from a clip-art book so probably not ok) so I can't try to sell them (plus apart from owl number one they all have issues, plus who buys Halloween greeting cards, plus who in Australia buys Halloween greeting cards...). I'll be giving these away to any of my friends who has someone to give them to. Then we can see if the puppet-card idea is a good one.

Also, this week's fabric of the week contest at Spoonflower is Zombie Plush Toys. Worth a look and a vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment