Friday 17 August 2012

Slowly slowly Wrapping with Love

I've been learning to knit. Sort of. Our teacher librarian whirled into my classroom last period on the last day of term with knitting needles, a ball of wool and a few rows done for me and gave me a run-through of the basics. We're participating in Wrap With Love this year and I made the mistake of saying "I don't know how to knit." This is not an acceptable excuse, apparently.

Knitting is crazy. Apart from one dropped stitch and very wonky edges as I had Adventures with Tension, and I've somehow added 7 stitches, it is going quite well, but I can't believe people really do this! It takes forever. I have been working for over a week and have yet to finish my little square. The only reason it doesn't really feel like it's taking forever is that you can knit while watching TV, and therefore you can think of it as bonus productivity. "Sure it has taken me hours, but those were hours I otherwise would have sat still doing nothing while watching TV."


I am in awe of people who can knit crazy complicated things that take actually forever, like whole blankets or jumpers. I think I'll stick to squares. Despite my desire to one day become Miss Marple, I had to admit to my mum that "I don't think knitting is for me." "No," she said, "knitting is not for you," in a tone that said, "I could have told you that."

No comments:

Post a Comment