Thursday 16 August 2012

Free soft toy patterns

In my childhood, I collected soft toys. Initially by accident, later on purpose. And I also began dreaming of designing my own one day. I made a few from kits (successfully) and a couple of my own design (far less successfully).

Contemplating returning to this dream, I thought I should start again at making before designing, so I looked for free patterns. So far I have tried two.


Found this Woman' s Day pattern and it looked super easy and pretty cute. I actually found it quite difficult because it was so tiny. But I like his quirky charm and button eyes.


Silver Seams has this fantastic hedgehog pattern, among other open source patterns and instructions. I'd like to make the Teddy Pig too. And maybe a balloon dog. What a weird and awesome idea. Anyway his snout seems a bit thin and he looks very different with a non-fur front, but I'm pretty fond of Hedgie.

An enjoyable start, but as my soft-toy-hoarding days are over, I now have to work out what to do with them!

2 comments:

  1. With very little modification these patterns would make excellent dice bags!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dice bags! This is a direction we should explore...after all, I keep mine in a squirrel-basket designed to hold Easter chocolate.

      Delete