Monday 3 December 2012

One Year of Ethical Fashion

I don't know exactly when I read "To Die For" but I first mention it online on December 3rd last year. I was so ready for this book, already feeling these things subconsciously and ready to take action. It hasn't been too difficult so far, and I think I've been mostly successful.

My concern was that the main action I would have to take would be NOT buying. I did a lot of research finding ethical clothing and coveted a lot of things, but didn't need them, so I couldn't buy them.

But new habits formed more quickly than I thought. I am so disinterested in fashion shops now. Westfields and other centres are pretty boring actually (except for Lush). I'm sure this must be doing my savings a lot of good too!

Here is what I have purchased in the year since I read the book.

I'll start my confessing my sins. Things I have bought new, without any ethical credentials:
  • A year 12 jersey that says "Mrs Kovari". The jersey timing coincided pretty closely with our wedding, and since I am now their year-advisor-in-law, I thought it would be cute.
  • My wedding shoes. I did try finding second hand but didn't have much luck. I will try to find another life for them now.
  • Wedding underwear.
  • My engagement party dress.
New items with ethical credentials:
  • Underwear from Urbanearthwear (read my review here)
  • Gideon shoes (review here)
  • Icebreaker socks and thermal top, in preparation for Canada and also just a search to find ethical socks.
  • My wedding dress. No ethical cred for the fabric, but it was made by a dressmaker and designer team who were certainly not underpaid.
Second hand:
  • 2 vintage dresses and some vintage ski pants from an auction
  • Knit vest
  • Polo shirt
  • Jeans
  • Work shirt
  • Singlet top
  • Shorts
  • Long-sleeved black top, all of these from op-shops.
It's actually a lot more than I thought it was, and I may have missed some. It makes me wonder how much I bought in the average year before!

I've been mending things a lot more than I used to, and I think I may do some alterations too. I'm determined to do the most I can with what I have already.

But I am itching for a shop. And I have lost about 8kg and some things are a little "bra-showy" at the moment. It may be time for another op-shop crawl.

2 comments:

  1. We can definitely go op shopping when you visit me. You'll end up with 'exclusives' you wouldn't be able to find in Aus and have ethical trip souvenirs, all in one!
    Mum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, that would be lovely!

      Also, a picture of the Dalek is finally up on the teaching blog!
      http://tangentratio.blogspot.com.au/

      Delete