Thursday 20 December 2012

Attempting to teach soft toy design

I mentioned earlier my choice to teach Soft Toy Design as a unit for Technology (Mandatory) this term. I try to ensure that I enjoy my job by making my job what I want it to be. Want to make puppets? Let's put on a Shapes Puppet Show. Want to design soft toys? Textiles time!

What an adventure. The kids had amazing ideas and were really enthusiastic (and that's always the best way to make sure they learn something). We researched, we discussed ethical design considerations, we sketched, we drew patterns, we learnt how to use the sewing machine.


Once we then started on the actual construction, some kids hit the reality wall of what they were trying to achieve. It doesn't seem to matter how many times you tell them to keep it simple. So some patterns underwent major editing, and some project were completely abandoned in favour of something more manageable. 


But this was good. In fact, this was a great experience.

The course is supposed to be centred around design. But it is hard to do that when students don't have a lot of skills, so most projects really focus on technologies and skills, with minimal design elements. I felt like this was real design. They faced the reality of design constraints, mainly time and skill restrictions. They evaluated and edited as they worked.


And in the end, like all good projects, I got sick, time ran out and we finished in a panic at the last possible moment!


The fellow on the right there is an adipose baby (Doctor Who), with hat and scarf (naturally).


I am extremely proud of what they managed to achieve and the lessons we all learned in the process. I had a fantastic time.


And we put some of our ethical design ideas into practice. This octopus is made from apron projects that previous classes either didn't finish or didn't want to take home. The straps and ties make excellent legs!


And to encourage them to finish all their theory work to a high standard, I gave the Zombie Bear to the best folio! And Violet Puffle and some Sock Snowmen to some runners up.

No comments:

Post a Comment