Tuesday 1 January 2013

Vintage gloves and Christmas gloves

I love vintage clothes but suffer from one major drawback when it comes to buying them: I'm overweight.
Truth be told, even if I got down to my ideal target weight, I'd still be built on somewhat hefty lines for most vintage clothes. So when we were at an auction, the only things I thought might fit me were a men's dinner shirt and vest (I was correct; they are great) and gloves. As a result, I got a bit trigger-happy with my bids on gloves. I ended the day with 27 more pairs of vintage gloves than I'd started with.

Many vintage gloves - these ones fit me.

More vintage gloves - these ones are a bit tight.

Even more vintage gloves- these ones don't fit at all
My mother got quite excited when I posted some photos of these after I'd bought them and when she was over for my sister's wedding she tried on a few pairs. She fit into and took some lovely small kid gloves.

Vintage kid gloves. 

She also liked the look of some chamois gloves, and I agreed to decorate them with some embroidery as a Christmas present. I was happy to have gloves that weren't a fantastic fit given to a new home, and I always like giving gifts that I've spent some time and love embellishing.

These fit me but are a little short in the fingers, so I was happy to gift them.
  I decided on a small spray of fern stitch leaves and colonial knot berries to make a pattern around the hem of the cuff. Very Christmas gloves.

The decorated gloves.

A close up of the embroidery.
Among the gloves I bought were a few with embroidery; unfortunately those ones were too small for me:

The most gorgeous embroidered kid gloves. It looks like tambour chain to me. 

Lovely embroidered vintage gloves. Shame these were too small.
The next glove project is to select some of the many cream pairs that fit me - see the first photo, above - and embroider them in the style of these ones.

2 comments:

  1. I really love my Christmas gloves.
    Mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you did with these ones! Your embroidery skills are so impressive to me! I look forward to seeing the ones you do for yourself.

    ReplyDelete