Friday 28 September 2012

Gertie's New Book for Better Sewing - a review

As a fan of vintage patterns, I love Gertie's New Blog for Better Sewing. She started it to sew through all the items in the Vogue New Book for Better Sewing, and now it has quite a following.
Such a cool idea generally, so I'd have read it even if it lacked a certain something, but I also like her writing style. I was a little dubious about getting the book though.
Firstly, I own many sewing books, and there is only so much information you need on how to sew darts or alter patterns.  But this one promised to have information on applying vintage, couture-style techniques as well, and dealing with vintage patterns, and while my Threads sewing book  has some of that, I was anticipating that her approach might be more interesting. Then, of course, there is the fact that I was worried that her voice might be muted or changed when official editors and publishers had become involved.
And thirdly, the last sewing book I bought was disappointing.  The Colette Sewing Handbook was less awesome than I'd hoped. I bought it mainly for one chapter that people online were talking about and saying how great it was - the chapter on 'A Thoughtful Plan'. Unfortunately this chapter was 9 pages of information that kept to very surface issues, in my opinion.

This one, however, looks like a keeper. The production values are high, the tone of the text is just like reading the blog, explanations are good, her discussion of vintage versus modern reissues for patterns is excellent, the patterns themselves are not only appealing but go up to a size that fits me, and she has some great advice about vintage sizing and fitting generally, such as using your high bust measurement to choose pattern sizing.  She has chosen to make the patterns she's included go bigger in the hips than conventional pattern sizings, which is annoying for me as that is not an area where I have an issue. I am not a pear. Despite this, I'm definitely going to use some of these in my next round of project dreaming. And I think I'll be turning to this often. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds really interesting! I look forward to seeing what comes of this book :)

    ReplyDelete